Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Music Album Review- 'Random Album Title' by Deadmau5

Music Album Review- 'Random Album Title' by Deadmau5

I must admit, I’m a bit of a Deadmau5 fan but this album has seemed to have slipped my attention. From back to 2007 when the track ‘The Reward Is Cheese’ was growling out of every festival in Europe to his most modern track ‘Catbread’, another treat, I have found his music to be exceptional and he shows signs of having immense talent. I know his music but I don’t know the artist so I think it’s time I do a little research.

Well, what I found out is that he’s HUGE around Europe, scooping up awards left right and centre and most recently winning Beatport’s Dance Music Awards for best Electro-House artist 2008 and is nominated again for it in 2009. That’s all good on paper but how good is his music really? Perhaps the album ‘Random Album Title’ will further educate me.

His regular style is that of an Electro-House that is perfect for the clubs in Ibiza as it borders on being Euphoric with many of the tracks being laced with cool echoes and sunshine organs. To be honest, I found this album to be more of a Trance album than that of a House album but I was attracted to the catchy hook of the track ‘Faxing Berlin’ and the hypnotic lull of the track ‘Slip’. I found the track ‘Arguru’ to be the best track on the album as its musical piano-feel that morphs into a Big Beat song is subtle yet capable of filling any dance-floor.

However, I feel that many of the tracks are too alike each other, and at no stage do they climax to their full potential. The closest thing, I felt, to the Electro-House genre, was the track ‘Sometimes Things Get, Whatever’ which in fact closely resembles The Chemical Brothers track ‘It Doesn’t Matter’ to the degree that it made me conclude that this album lacks spunk and originality. For those of you who are looking for something with more of an edge, or for those of you Deadmau5 fans out there, I’m afraid I would have to recommend giving this one a big miss.


No comments:

Post a Comment