Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Movie Review: Up (2009)


Movie Review: Up (2009)

It’s been a while since I sat down and watched an Animated Movie so I was due a good fun-filled cartoon adventure. The last Disney/Pixar movie I saw was "Ratatouille" and I absolutely loved it! Definitely the best Disney film I had seen since The Lion King. So when I heard about film Up I have to admit I couldn’t wait to see it! I had heard all of the raving reviews so was eager to see if it was as good, or even better than Ratatouille.

The film starts out with a young boy Carl Fredricksen and his balloon. He meets Ellie, his first love and wife to be, who he makes a promise to that someday they will go exploring the world in a blimp (like his balloon) and have their home in South America on Paradise Falls. They fall in love, get married and live a long and happy life together until Ellie dies. Carl has one regret - they never made it to Paradise Falls and he decides to embark on a southbound journey in his floating house elevated by balloons.

On his adventure southbound he notices a stow-away on board his house. Young boy -scout Russell accompanies Carl on his adventure. On their travels they meet Beta and Dug who cohesively form a tight-knit loyal unit. However, they are confronted by an army of talking dogs led by Charles Muntz who is in search of the rare Beta bird. Carl and his team protect Beta from the evil grasp of Muntz.

The story is one exciting, magical and fun filled animation that is very refreshing to children and adults, and both are sure to enjoy it. It reminds me of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with balloons and talking dogs and really brings classical childhood fantasy to the forefront of modern day cinema.


No comments:

Post a Comment